Thursday, September 26, 2013

An Open Letter To Bose Corporation

Dear Bose Corporation,

There is a crater where my road used to be.  The house across the street is an obliterated pile of rubble.  The days are filled with the sound of explosions and endless pounding that rattles the dishes in the cabinet.  The nights are filled with the sounds of heated arguments in the streets.  If I didn't know better, I would swear my house is in the center of a war zone.  There are pictures of my neighborhood after the Battle of Bulge and it looks disturbingly similar.

However, this isn't a war zone.  It's a construction zone.  Except for holidays and the month of August, the small city square I live in has been in a constant state of renovation since we moved here almost two years ago.  They've dug up our street three times in the last 21 months.  When one building is demolished and a new one is built in its place, they move down to the next address.  As I write this, there are two demolition projects underway across the street, one behind our house, and the third attempt to do whatever it is they can't stop doing to my street kicked off yesterday afternoon.  Occasionally, one of our adjoining neighbors to our row home (architectural creativity has blessed us with 5) gets in the act with a sledge hammer or a hammer drill.  If there is a disease that creates an unquenchable desire to tear things down and rebuild them, there are a lot of infected people in this town.  One would think that after quitting time, all this racket would cease.  Alas, the clientele from the bar around the corner picks up where construction crews left off.  All told, there are approximately 3 hours a day of peace, between the hours of 4 and 7 A.M.

While I'm sure there are some people that thrive in this type of environment, I'm not one of them.  During the week, my time is spent editing photographs, painting, writing, or editing video.  I need a quiet environment so I can, well, hear myself think.  At the beginning of September the construction reached a new level of intensity and I found myself unable to stay focused on what I was doing.  The only time I could get somewhere quiet was when I rode my bicycle out to the middle of nowhere or I walked up into the forests.  Unfortunately, doing that meant I wasn't able to paint, write, or do anything else.  I was becoming frustrated, irritable, and sometimes downright enraged.

Then, one day I walked into one of your shops and popped on a pair of your Quiet Comfort 15 Headphones.  At that moment, I knew life was about to significantly improve.  They were playing loud music in the shop.  There were other people inside talking at a level to be heard above the music.  But, when I flipped that little switch on the right ear cup, all of that was silenced.  I heard absolutely nothing.  It was beautiful.  I'll never forget it.  I think I may have teared up a little.

I've owned these headphones for two weeks now and I cannot stop talking about them.  I put them on as soon as the construction crews roll into town at 7 A.M. and I'm blissfully unaware of their presence for the entirety of the day.  I thought that wearing headphones all day every day would be uncomfortable, but these are so light and soft I forget they're even there.  Whether I have music pumped into them or not, they provide that quiet environment I have been craving for so long.  They are allowing me to hear my thoughts again, to focus, and to express them.  I cannot begin to explain what that means to me.

In short, thank you, thank you, thank you.  Please, give your Quiet Comfort development team a hug from me.  I can honestly sayyour product has changed my life for the better.  That is big deal.

Sincerely and with my deepest thanks,
CG
Prisoner of Constructionville

No comments:

Post a Comment